Anyone actually using Android Auto or Apple Carplay?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone actually using Android Auto or Apple Carplay?

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L

Anyone actually using Android Auto or Apple Carplay?

Like the title says, I'm curious whether anyone is actually using these apps. Considering you have to physically tether your phone to the car each time, it seems like a PITA. Especially given the rather limited application for them.

Maybe I'm missing something, but unless the rumors are true and they'll operate over Bluetooth, I don't see what all the hoopla is about.

Edumacate me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX (Premium Pack)
    Unless CarPlay works over Bluetooth when it is released for the '16 Optimas, I probably won't use it often. I don't want to plug my phone in evrytime I get in my car

4. The Following User Says Kudos to mpalomba3 For This Useful Post:

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    Tried it a couple of times (android). Yeah you have to tether it. Problably wont use it much. Eats up your phone battery too.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    I use Android Auto whenever I listen to music from the phone (Google Play Music) or want to use Google Maps instead of the car's nav system, which I sometimes do when I already have a local address ready there and don't want to transfer via Uvo or enter the address manually. I'll also use that for traffic on trips once the SiriusXM trial is up (SiriusXM traffic is nearly useless - only freeways/highways and usually out of date compared to Google).

Plugging in the phone isn't a big deal for me, and music sounds better than with Bluetooth which has a low bitrate and limits the H/K stereo. If they add wifi direct as an option, I certainly won't complain about it being wireless, but I'm willing to bet Kia doesn't offer that as an update for 2016 and earlier cars (I'd like to be wrong here!).

I have noticed that sometimes Android Auto doesn't come up properly and I have to replug the phone a couple times to get it to work - the phone will show Auto running, but the car says it's not. I also can't get notifications to work at all - on my phone I can't enable notifications for it, the option turns itself off whenever I try to turn it on.

I've wonder if the mapnsoft V10 upgrade changes anything, but I don't really want to spend $200 to find out.

Overall I'm pretty happy with Android Auto, but it's not quite as good I was hoping for.
    Last edited by scotte; 07-07-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    2016 Optima SXL

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    Don't waste your money on the upgrade I know I sure did lol I barely use android auto because I have to connect it with a USB cable it's annoying and honestly I like driving and texting at the same time and just because theres noobs out there doesn't mean Im gonna follow rules made for them...I got decent tints the cops can't see what I'm doing and also I'm aware of my surroundings when texting never been caught and never will. Stick with the Bluetooth setup

Chatterbox
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2015 Optima Ex-L
    Trim
    EX Luxury
    ^ bold

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    I use Android Auto everytime I get in the car. Mostly for music. Plugging in the cable takes less than a second, I don't see why this is a big deal.
    2016 Optima SXL

11. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread