Kia Optima Forums banner

Forward Collision Warning not working? (SXL)

10K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  2000UZJ 
#1 ·
Got my SXL a few days ago, and let's just say I've tried to tested the FCW system a few times. However, I've had no luck getting the alerts, and I've even tried changing the notification timing to early.

Any one else with an SXL have thoughts on how easy it is to the FCW to engage?

#2 ·
My experience is it's not super easy. It's warned me a few times but never braked yet. The other day someone was turning into a drive and I knew they would clear it before I got to them so I didn't decelerate, and it went off, but I got pretty close before it did.

I haven't done this yet but I've been tempted to test it on the interstate by driving in the passing lane as if to pass a truckload, but just before I get to his rear bumper quickly change lanes so I'm right on him and see if the brakes engage. Of course I would only do this if no one was behind me!

#5 ·
I was just about to post my own thread on this topic.

I have tried to make it give the warning by approaching a slower car faster than I should (not really smart, I know) and nothing. My wife's Subaru has the Eyesight system and it's relatively easy to trigger a warning when a car cuts you off or you wait till the last second to brake.

On the Optima I even set it to "early" warning and nothing. My smart cruise control works, so the radar sensor is working fine.

#6 ·
Mine has triggered several times. In addition to the warning (which is low-volume and sounds like a distant cellphone ringing), I've gotten a grinding sound and very brief braking before going on. It's always been with cars in front of me turning, and I guess it doesn't like how close I get to them. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.