UVO and text messages
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UVO and text messages

UVO and text messages

I have a KIA with the UVO system. It works great. My phone contacts syns and phone works good too. Radio shows phone battery level and signal level just fine.

But it does not show SMS/text or email messages. When I say read SMS or Text, it says command not available. The SMS option is turned on.

My phone is a sprint EVO. I checked phone and all updates are applied.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

I also have the same issue with my iPhone 4S on Sprint. Any help would be appreciated.
    2012 Titanium Silver SX - Premium Package with Luxury Wheels
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    2013 Triumph Thruxton

You are the hero of your own story........

I have done some Google searches. seems like a lot of people are having the same issue. I can't find any updates for the UVO system.

Also, I have a 2012 KIA.

Same here, 2012, iPhone 4.

The technology to allow UVO to do SMS is an old, and I believe, unsecured technology that isn't used in newer phones.

You can see compatible phones here: http://www.kia.com/content/media/all...patibility.pdf

Well I hope they plan on upgrading it. since it is based on microsoft technology then there should be an update ar some point. my friends ford sync has this text/sms now. since it they are adding UVO to newer cars it seems stupid to only have ti work with older phones. after all, the public is not buying older smart phones.

Looking at the KIA compatibility list it is amazing how many phones do not work with SMS on the UVO. Hopefully there will be an update.
    2013 Triumph Thruxton

Before you bash UVO....

If you look at the phone the Sync system is compatible with for SMS/Text you are going to find much of the same: http://www.syncmyride.com/own/suppor...v100_us_en.pdf

It is amazing that SMS isn't compatible with both the UVO and Sync systems on one of the most popular phones on the market today. The iPhone 4.

Still love my UVO though!
    2013 Triumph Thruxton

Found some good insight on this issue, and as to why the phone manufacturers aren't adopting MAP. Sync Crusade - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

"This was and still is a pet peeve of mine but for differrent reasons - the biggest issue is the proprietary nature of the bluetooth stack that supports the Message Accessing Profile. Until someone releases an open source stack with the MAP profile supported, only those manufacturers who have licensed it from BlueSoleil offer it.

Not even Microsoft's stack supports this profile. The Android developers to date have been dishearteningly quiet about whether they will support MAP in future versions of the bluetooth stack built into the Android O/S - not sure where Apple is either.
    "

Sounds like Microsoft made a poor choice with the MAP protocol. An open source protocol would have made a lot more sense, since there are so many different phone manufactures and OS's.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements