Replace 2012 OEM Nav with Afternarket headunit
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replace 2012 OEM Nav with Afternarket headunit

Year
    Model
    Optima 2012 My13
    Trim
    Platinum

Replace 2012 OEM Nav with Afternarket headunit

Have seen similar posts but nothing that really addresses my issue. Can it be done and what happens with the climate/ac controls? I saw a thread from a user I think called ACE who was working on a project to address this but nothing came from it. Also idatalink don't seem to have anything for Kia either. So has anyone been able to do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Optima
    Go to metraonline.com and follow the what fits my car drop down menu and get the dash, harness, antenna adapter and metra axxess steering wheel adapter info and ebay/amazon them. You can order a standard non nav hvac control on ebay from LKQ parts fro about 40-50 shipped. Plugs directly in. One plug left over that goes to the radio for control and image. Tuck away as it will not be used. Installed mine in about an hour. Pioneer NEX units offer best features and phone control for dollar. If you want video you will need to order a bypass module/chip.

Year
    Model
    Optima 2012 My13
    Trim
    Platinum
    Cheers Ron. Will check it out and see how it goes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Model
    Optima 2012 My13
    Trim
    Platinum
    So I spoke to Sean from Metra and he said they don't make facsic kits for right hand side vehicles. He also said that they don't even have a solution for retaining the climate controls on the display.

So is there any solution at all??

Lube Jockey
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandab View Post
    So I spoke to Sean from Metra and he said they don't make facsic kits for right hand side vehicles. He also said that they don't even have a solution for retaining the climate controls on the display.

So is there any solution at all??
    Nope, unfortunately no company makes any fancy harnesses and modules for our kias. I've done a lot of research.

Year
    Model
    Optima 2012 My13
    Trim
    Platinum
    Cheers for that Jery. I thought that might be the case. I've researched quite a bit myself and will now decide to give up. However i would still like to know if it's possible to play video via the aux in port or any other method in the factory OEM. Has anyone found a way to do this?

Lube Jockey
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Cheers for that Jery. I thought that might be the case. I've researched quite a bit myself and will now decide to give up. However i would still like to know if it's possible to play video via the aux in port or any other method in the factory OEM. Has anyone found a way to do this?
    I mean it is possible, but not via the aux port. One way of doing it is connecting the video on the camera port on the back of the headunit. But when you do that your going to have two issues. 1: you have to trick the factory screen to think it's in reverse or else it's only going to work in reverse. 2: your goring to have the parking lines on screen all the time.

At the end it's not really worth it, At least to me. If you really want video playback on your stereo just go after market stereo. And convert your climate control to the physical buttons. It's been done before.

Year
    Model
    Optima 2012 My13
    Trim
    Platinum
    cheers mate. I thought of that as an option going the physical climate control route. But seems like a step back. Is there a post or tutorial from someone who has done this?

Lube Jockey
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    cheers mate. I thought of that as an option going the physical climate control route. But seems like a step back. Is there a post or tutorial from someone who has done this?
    I don't really see it as a step back.

But here's the link Help installing new head unit in 2011 Optima with Nav + Infinity - UPDATE: installed!

Year
    Model
    Optima 2012 My13
    Trim
    Platinum
    Cheers Jery. I'll check it out. Thanks

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread