Android Auto and Texting
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Android Auto and Texting

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL

Android Auto and Texting

I checked the forum but didn't see anything directly related to this. Have a 2016 SXL. Some of the time have used Android Auto, with my Motorola Moto Z Force phone. I also just did the UVO update. Pain in the neck to connect the wire. Found that the Google map directions, to me, will not shut up, gives a lot more directions that I find annoying. What I thought it would do would be read and send texts. At first nothing with the standard Verizon text app on the phone. I then made Google Hangouts my default text app and as long as I have Android Auto running I it seems to do this. However, if I try to use a voice command to initiate a text, I get a very curt response that it can't do that. It's like I've upset her somehow. When a text comes in, I get a voice notification if she wants me to read the text. Afterward asks if I want to reply. That's dicey, I've tried voice command, but it seems that's not needed. I keep repeating Reply and it will sometimes work.

So the question is, are there any other text apps, other than Google Hangouts that may work better? Or could it be operator error? Good chance I'm working the app correctly, but I've not seen a lot of instructions for it. Would be nice if Android Auto worked over Bluetooth. I've had reasonably good luck playing my music that way. I get so few texts that at this point I just have Android Auto running when I'm on a longer trip. Though I flip the screen back to the main nav screen for my directions.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX Turbo
    That's strange. I've been using Android Auto, via a Galaxy S7 and a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX in my past two cars and haven't experienced what you have. If I hit the voice button on the steering wheel and say " send text so and so" it will replay with "Ok, what's your message to so and so". I respond with my message and it replies with my message and "Do you want to send it, or change it?". I say send and it goes. I use Handcent Next messaging APP for texting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....nextsms&hl=en

Android Auto is a good program but has its flaws. In my case I have to unplug and plug a few times but I think its my phone. Sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling Android Auto works too.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    Thanks very much Murph3699! Downloaded that app. Made it my default texting app. Tried it this morning to send, receive and reply to a text message and it worked. I tried it both ways, just Bluetooth and then through Android Auto. Nothing with Bluetooth. The voice command doesn't recognize send a text there. So odd that it recognizes that voice command when Android Auto is connected.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX Turbo
    That's because Android Auto is designed to keep your hands off your device and use minimal touches on the screen. You can ask it questions like "who won Super Bowl 51" and it will answer. If you want directions to a restaurant just ask it. You can also make calls to places by telling it, even if its not in your contacts. That's for businesses anyway.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread