Nav/GPS a little off - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nav/GPS a little off

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Floger View Post
    ...if it was the antenna, it would be a clear defective item. By that, he meant that it would would never work 100% of the time. How would you respond to that?
    You mean, how would I respond without calling him a moron? I don't have an answer for that.

Apparently the service manager is unfamiliar with how electronic connections (whether at the connecting end or in the cable itself) can go in and out for many reasons. Short in the cable somewhere, bad connectors at either end (or both ends), a defective receiver (the antenna itself). All of these could cause spotty connection, or it could cause the connection to go out completely. But it's most certainly not a 100% on or off case.

Honestly, if you have access to another dealer I'd go there and explain the situation. Original dealer replaced the headunit, but refuses to even consider that the (still occurring) problem may be with the antenna.

If you feel like tinkering (and electronics warranty is up or almost up) you could always look into replacing the antenna yourself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by GenuineMP5 View Post
    You mean, how would I respond without calling him a moron? I don't have an answer for that.

Apparently the service manager is unfamiliar with how electronic connections (whether at the connecting end or in the cable itself) can go in and out for many reasons. Short in the cable somewhere, bad connectors at either end (or both ends), a defective receiver (the antenna itself). All of these could cause spotty connection, or it could cause the connection to go out completely. But it's most certainly not a 100% on or off case.

Honestly, if you have access to another dealer I'd go there and explain the situation. Original dealer replaced the headunit, but refuses to even consider that the (still occurring) problem may be with the antenna.

If you feel like tinkering (and electronics warranty is up or almost up) you could always look into replacing the antenna yourself.
    Solid info. Thank you. I'll try one more time with this guy explaining what you have mentioned. Although not having solved my problem yet, he's a good guy. Alternatively I'll head to another dealership. Thanks again.
    2014 Optima SX Turbo, graphite, stock

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    After several days of my nav working on and off and the dealership not being able to diagnose the issue after replacing the head unit (I just don't have the time to go to the dealership eveytime it's acting up) I contacted Kia Canada to start the 'process'. They know that my 3 yr electronics warranty is up very soon and have assured me they'll get to the bottom of this under warranty. We'll see what happens. *update...as I was typing this, Kia Canada (Joe) called to get some more info. By now they have lots on ammo plus proof from a service advisor and service manager who witnessed the nav not working properly after the head unit was replaced. We'll see where this goes....

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Floger View Post
    After several days of my nav working on and off and the dealership not being able to diagnose the issue after replacing the head unit (I just don't have the time to go to the dealership eveytime it's acting up) I contacted Kia Canada to start the 'process'. They know that my 3 yr electronics warranty is up very soon and have assured me they'll get to the bottom of this under warranty. We'll see what happens. *update...as I was typing this, Kia Canada (Joe) called to get some more info. By now they have lots on ammo plus proof from a service advisor and service manager who witnessed the nav not working properly after the head unit was replaced. We'll see where this goes....
    This certainly wasn't the answer I was hoping for. Just got off the phone with Kia Canada. After extensive (so they say) research they have come to the conclusion that is not a hardware issue rather a software issue. The software being MNsoft. As I'm sure you all know, MNsoft has a 90 day warranty. So I'm pooched there. My car came with the version v8.5. I upgraded my map last year to the v9.5 which has worked perfectly for 8 months.

What I don't understand is yes, I can agree (kind of) with the map issue BUT when I press the GPS/info button I am not receiving a signal. It shows 0 for latitude or longitude and the elevation is stuck on a certain number while driving. This to me means the antenna is not functioning properly. Can anyone else chime in?

I called them back and stated this. The gentlemen (who has been very nice btw) agreed that indeed it may not be a software issue after all and now has escalated it once again. Update to come next week...

Year
    Model
    Black SX Prem. & Tech.
    Well, it seems like a straightforward troubleshooting approach to simply reset all the software by doing something like reinstalling it. Especially if you have access to the older v8.5 that you replaced, as well as v9.5, you could install each one and test them both to see if the problem only happens in one of the versions.

But I recall having an issue with my nav unit, and disconnecting the car battery and also doing a reset procedure (where you hold down some buttons and press certain button combinations) did not fix the problem. But when I did the installation procedure, where it totally rewrites the software, then that fixed the problem. And all I did was perform the same update procedure (like how you upgraded your map yourself to v9.5) that I had performed days before the problem showed up. Nothing different, just installing the same version of the software that was already running, using the same update procedure.

So, if you don't have v8.5 available to install, why not just try reinstalling v9.5? It seems like you'd have nothing to lose except your radio station presets...

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFatty View Post
    So, if you don't have v8.5 available to install, why not just try reinstalling v9.5? It seems like you'd have nothing to lose except your radio station presets...
    Doesn't seem like a bad option, honestly. If you reinstall v9.5 and the problem persists it could indeed be an issue in the software, or it could be the antenna (which it sounds like they're finally interested in testing). If the problem is fixed after the reinstall, then it's fixed.

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by GenuineMP5 View Post
    Doesn't seem like a bad option, honestly. If you reinstall v9.5 and the problem persists it could indeed be an issue in the software, or it could be the antenna (which it sounds like they're finally interested in testing). If the problem is fixed after the reinstall, then it's fixed.
    Thanks. I'll be spending a little time this weekend restoring the unit to factory setting. I'll take the advice and reinstall v8.5 which I have and see where that goes. If that works then I'm basically screwed with v9.5. Update to come.

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    LX
    Trim
    Metal Bronze Pearl Metallic
    Have you thought of replacing the sim chip..

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1948 View Post
    I'm going to see if an old map works later today.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1948 View Post
    There is no SIM. Perhaps you meant the SD card, but that seems unlikely to be the source of the issue.
    2016 Optima SXL

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast