Oil changes, warranty info and tips
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil changes, warranty info and tips

Riding Lawn Mower

Oil changes, warranty info and tips

Provided you use recommended parts and oil, your car warranty stands. The Moss-Magnusson Act applies here.

If you have a metric socket set, you will just need a filter, crush washer and filter wrench.
    The drain plug is a 17mm.
    The Filter wrench is an 80mm 15 facet/flute wrench which you can buy from Advance Auto Parts (Part # W50468)
    Torque values: Kia has a range for the filter and the drain plug.
    I used just over the recommended median value for both.
    14Nm for the filter and 40Nm for the drain plug (easy to remember!).

You will find that when you remove the filter, oil runs down the back of the plastic floor pan!!! Next time, I will insert a folded up piece of Aluminum foil (about 8X8") upwards into the hole and allow it to fold around the hole and hang down a little. When you remove the filter, it should not allow the oil to splash backwards into the plastic pan.

RECORDKEEPING:
    IMHO, it behooves you keep a log (using the KIa service book in your glove box!) and retain all parts and oil receipts. If you buy genuine Kia filters and crush washer, which are very reasonably priced, and the specified oil (I use Mobil1 5w30 here in Texas), you really cannot get into trouble. Being as I am in a small town 70 miles away from the nearest dealer, I bought my accessories (rubber mats and mud flaps) plus oil, air and cabin filters and crush washers from Deland Kia in Florida. Nice folks, great prices, good service.

I do have one service "GOTCHA" for Kia Optima owners doing their own servicing:
    When they installed the drain plug, they sprayed over the plug and crush washer when they sprayed the oil pan.
    So, when you remove the drain plug, it appears that there isn't a crush washer (or you think you dropped it in the oil!!! WRONG!!! You will need to (carefully!), pry the old crush washer away from the drain plug BEFORE installing the new crush washer. Of course, if you aren't as anal as I am, it isn't a problem! LOL

FYI - A few years back, I had a warranty issue with Toyota and I supplied them with all receipts (I used Toyota filters and Mobil1 oils, and my service log. They didn't fight me at all......
    Phil C.
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    White Pearl/Beige Interior

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Phil, Thanks for taking the time to put all of this down. I'll be using it.
    2012 Genesis R-Spec sedan
    2011 Civic EX
    2012 Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Autography - 40 Cars in 32 years of driving. http://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779744

Lot Attendant
    If the dealer doesn't use synthetic I'll be doing it on my own as well. Thanks for the post.

Learner's Permit
    I was wondering, is there a recommend mileage for the first oil change or is it the standard 3000 or 5000 miles?

Lot Attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
    I was wondering, is there a recommend mileage for the first oil change or is it the standard 3000 or 5000 miles?
    It's in the manual....I believe it's 3,000.....I'm too lazy to go down stairs and into the garage lol.

Model
    2011 Optima SX
    on new cars these days you can do 5000 miles. Does anyone go by the maintence reminder on the dash?

Jer
    I can tell you from YEARS of experience with cars & engines of all types... do NOT wait 3,000-5,000 miles for your initial oil change. There's a LOT of particulate floating around suspended in your engine oil that you don't want running through your engine. If you do it yourself just note the date and mileage and save your receipts. You don't have to have the dealership do it to maintain your warranty.

i changed both ours at 1000 miles.. both synth... should be good to go on the initial engine break in

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    i can tell you from years of experience with cars & engines of all types... Do not wait 3,000-5,000 miles for your initial oil change. There's a lot of particulate floating around suspended in your engine oil that you don't want running through your engine. If you do it yourself just note the date and mileage and save your receipts. You don't have to have the dealership do it to maintain your warranty.

this!

Riding Lawn Mower
    Does anyone know what Kias stands are in regards to warranty on have another shop other than the dealer do oil changes? I don't trust my local dealer and they also don't use synthetic. I dont have the time or the will to do my own oil changes. thanks

G4

12. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements