waste gate actuator adjustment for turbo charged optima power loss problem
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: waste gate actuator adjustment for turbo charged optima power loss problem

Syn
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX

waste gate actuator adjustment for turbo charged optima power loss problem

So if your like me and would rather die fixing your car than taking it back to the dealer, only to have them fail at another simple task. Then here is the fix for the turbo charger "loss of power/ restart the car everything is fine" problem everyone is bringing in their car for. I started experiencing the problem around 9,000 miles and read over the entire TSB about how they adjust the wastegate to 4.2V to make it shut sooner. But I dont have a OBD scanner or software to read the voltage on the waste gate. I do however have 10 years electronics troubleshooting experience and knew that it was reading a feedback position voltage that was coming from the electronic motor that controls the waste gate. The problem was which wire was it? Well after doing some slick piggybacking on each wire with the connector plugged it I have the answer. If you look at the connector you take off of the motor it is the yellow wire on the connector. If you piggyback off that wire while the connector is plugged in and the car is on (engine not started but radio and everything on)you will see a voltage of around 4-4.7 VDC using the battery ground as ground. As you move the waste gate rod by hand to the left (passenger side) you'll see it decrease toward 0VDC. What you want to do is pull it all the way to the right (driver side) and read the voltage. mine was actually at 4.6 VDC! So if its above 4.3 VDC you have to shorten the rod. Take the bolt off the top of the rear cover on the turbo to make room so you can move it as you need. Take the clip off of the turbo charger side (BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE IT!) it is a C clip with a small loop u can hook something around to pull it up and off. And there is a small washer on the other side of rod so take care not to lose that too when you take the rod off. The motor actuator side is a small locknut that i believe is 10mm. you take that nut off and the whole bar should come right off. Loosen a locknut on whichever side shows the most threads and turn it clockwise if its above 4.3VDC (making the bar shorter) and counter clockwise if its below 4.1VDC(making the bar longer). Then make a turn or two adjustment and without locking the nuts down yet put the bar back on the wastegate connection and motor connection and once again push the rod by hand all the way to the right (driver side) repeat this process until your meter reads 4.2VDC (+/- .1VDC) with you pushing the electronic wastegate actuator all the way to the right. once you achieve this lock down the locknuts on the rod and reinstall the rod reverse of removal (IMPORTANT TIP!!!!! tie a small piece of string around the small loop on the C clip when you go to put it back on as if you drop it you will spend 2 hrs like i did looking for it in your engine!!!!!) I hope this helps. I just did it to my car and shes a COMPLETELY different beast as if your voltage was over 4.3VDC it wasnt putting as much closing force on the wastegate as it should, letting exhaust gas slide on by. I would like to take it back to the dealership but after they put 5w-20 in my car when EVEN THE CAP says 5w-30 i have less than no faith in them anymore...

2. The Following User Says Kudos to Syn For This Useful Post:

3. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran BlueSXTurbo's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    can you help me with this? i live in cleveland.
    BlueSXTurbo's Showroom
    2011 Kia Optima SX T-GDI

Shuttle Driver
    Wow, this could be handy!

6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

something i'll try myself, great info, glad thing worked out for you...

Model
    2011 Optima SX
    I haven't had a problem like this yet, but I am curious to see if mine reads 4.3 or what.
    Also...

anyone doing this next, pls make a VID...thanks in advance!!!

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    My dealer had my car from 9am-2:30PM trying to fix this one issue( and a simple oil change. They wanted to put in 5W-20 bc the service writer did not know EX-Turbos existed.) It was reading 4.8V. When i left at 2:45PM my voltage was 4.8V. The mechanic claimed that he was unable to make the change bc the temp of the ambient air was to hot. I call bullshit. How can ambient air affect voltage. Needless to say i will be tackling this repair myself. Thanks for the write up.
    2012 Ex-Turbo Ebony black. Pinstripe, tint 25% all 4 windows, mudflaps, Low beam 5000k hid's from DDM, 5000K halogen fog lights, Rear licence plate and reverse led lights. 18" Motegi DPK chrome wheels.

Driver's License
    Syn,

Amazing DIY. I appreciate your writeup, particularly with wiring investigation to find the correct point to read this voltage. Your description seems quite accurate and thorough, and the caution comments are really valuable. The combination of this DIY and ultracow's lubrication suggestion go a long way to solving this problem.
    2011 Spicy Red SX, Tech + Premium, 2012 Front Seats, 245/45-18 Bridgestones

OptimaForums Veteran NewKiaSXOwner's Avatar
    Yea OP thanks for taking the time to investigate this issue..
    2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 Link to Mods. NewKiaSxOwner's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    Yeah your all welcome. Should just kept it to myself if I was gonna get this much flack over it. What the **** did you guys do to help try to fix this problem? Oh yeah, nothing...If it's useless how is the next person who tries this and makes video gonna do it? By using the information I took the time to find for you. Sorry its not a picture book . I woulda been **** grateful for any information I could find on how to fix this problem myself...because of me now there is. You post a useful DIY thread, then talk...
    Who are you roiding out on? Lol
    I see nothing but positive replies

Great write up btw

Sent from my JB iPh4S v5.1.1

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast