[DIY] : LED Tails install on 2014
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Tails install on 2014

Model
    2014 Optima
    Trim
    EX

Lightbulb LED Tails install on 2014

Figured I would do a write-up for those of us who are now owning 2014's and wanting to upgrade to LED tails since the process is slightly different than 2013's.

Things you'll need:
    • 10mm ratcheting wrench
    • 6 Quick Splices
    • 6 T-Taps and 6 Connectors

I used this .pdf as a basis for my install.

For the majority of the steps you'll follow the same guide. Including removing of the trunk liner and obviously the old lights.

For the quarter-panels you'll just need to connect the black ground wire to the black-with-yellow striped wire on the new LED's. On the passenger side I used a T-Tap and connector on the new LED side, and then ran that into a quick-splice on the black ground wire on the existing wiring.

The driver side is where things will start to change. The following is my connections.
    LED Tails install on 2014-driver-side-connection.jpg

As you can see the new LED's we're hooking up have a total of 5 wires in their plug, whereas our stock connection only has 2. So you need to bring up 2 wires from the driver side along the trunk lid, they're simply a ground wire and the brake light. So I took two T-Taps on those wires from the stock harness and connected them to long wires that I routed behind the felt paneling and along the trunk hinge, much like page 7 and 8 of the original PDF.

I also used the new wire I was running to send the ground connection to the new quarter-panel light by hooking up a quick-splice from the long wire I just installed and terminating it with a T-Tap on the black-and-yellow striped wire on the new LED lights.

As for the trunk lights I ran the wire all the way to the passenger side and terminated them in quick splices to the green and black-and-yellow wires. I used red for the brake lights and black for the ground wires, you can see how they're hooked up in this picture.
    LED Tails install on 2014-img_1314.jpg

Once I had the longest distance covered I then hooked up the lights on the driver side. Because the wire was already that I simply used two quick-splices from the new wire I ran and terminated them in T-Taps on the same wires for the lights like so.
    LED Tails install on 2014-img_1315.jpg

With that done I tested everything out, it took a few times of failure because the T-Taps didn't actually scrape off enough of the wire to make good contact, so if you go this route and have problems with only some lights working, try taking off your T-Taps and double checking that they've scraped through enough of the wire casing to actually make the contact they need.

Once everything was working correctly I simply zip-tied the new wires to the pre-existing ones put all the covers back on for the trunk and called it a day.

It took me probably 2-3 hours simply because I ran out of T-Taps halfway through and had to get things in a decent enough state so I could drive to the store and get some more.

Hope this can be helpful to other people looking to do this upgrade on their car because it really does make it look nice when everything is lit up at night.
    2014 EX
    exLED Switchbacks 2.0
    K3.0 Logos
    Full Interior LED upgrade / LED License Lights
    LED Tail Lights
    LED Fog Lights

2. The Following User Says Kudos to scud For This Useful Post:

3. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Thanks for making this Matt, much appreciated. I think this will help others going through the same installation process.
    ​​

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Man I wish I could do this, but $800 is way to steep. Maybe in a few years.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Quote Originally Posted by 14swp View Post
    Man I wish I could do this, but $800 is way to steep. Maybe in a few years.
    Does $550 shipped sound like a better deal?
    ​​

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by K5 Optima Store View Post
    Does $550 shipped sound like a better deal?
    $550? That's a much better deal, but your site says it's $699. I was the guy who emailed you about the quad led fog lights too. This was a cheap car, but all the mods are making it quite expensive

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    $550? That's a much better deal, but your site says it's $699. I was the guy who emailed you about the quad led fog lights too. This was a cheap car, but all the mods are making it quite expensive
    Well my buddy is just about to list a set from his Optima in the classified section here on the forum tonight. At that price they will sell extremely fast. In order to not hijack this thread any further, PM me if interested in picking them up for that price. They are in mint condition and the car is only about 4 months old.
    ​​

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Also, where do you get these t-taps and quick splices? I've been doing all my mods the old fashioned way by stripping the wires with a wire stripper and soldering everything together.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Well my buddy is just about to list a set from his Optima in the classified section here on the forum tonight. At that price they will sell extremely fast. In order to not hijack this thread any further, PM me if interested in picking them up for that price. They are in mint condition and the car is only about 4 months old.
    It's a great price, but I think i'm going to do the fog light mod first, then maybe in a year, do the tails. Thanks a lot though, and I'm sure they'll sell within a day at most.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    KIA K900
    Trim
    VIP Package
    Also, where do you get these t-taps and quick splices? I've been doing all my mods the old fashioned way by stripping the wires with a wire stripper and soldering everything together.
    Any local auto parts store will sell them. However the way you're doing it is the right way it should be done. That way there are no issues with wires coming loose or having issues.

It's a great price, but I think i'm going to do the fog light mod first, then maybe in a year, do the tails. Thanks a lot though, and I'm sure they'll sell within a day at most.
    Ok cool no worries. Let me know when you're ready to do the quad LEDs.
    ​​

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Any local auto parts store will sell them. However the way you're doing it is the right way it should be done. That way there are no issues with wires coming loose or having issues.
    Cool. Yeah, I don't want my headlights or taillights not working at night and getting into an accident. I'd rather spend the extra hour soldering stuff together.

Sorry OP for the off topic.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    kia
    Model
    optima
    Trim
    ex
    Quote Originally Posted by scud View Post
    Figured I would do a write-up for those of us who are now owning 2014's and wanting to upgrade to LED tails since the process is slightly different than 2013's.

Things you'll need:
    • 10mm ratcheting wrench
    • 6 Quick Splices
    • 6 T-Taps and 6 Connectors
    I used this .pdf as a basis for my install.

For the majority of the steps you'll follow the same guide. Including removing of the trunk liner and obviously the old lights.

For the quarter-panels you'll just need to connect the black ground wire to the black-with-yellow striped wire on the new LED's. On the passenger side I used a T-Tap and connector on the new LED side, and then ran that into a quick-splice on the black ground wire on the existing wiring.

The driver side is where things will start to change. The following is my connections.
    Attachment 99194

As you can see the new LED's we're hooking up have a total of 5 wires in their plug, whereas our stock connection only has 2. So you need to bring up 2 wires from the driver side along the trunk lid, they're simply a ground wire and the brake light. So I took two T-Taps on those wires from the stock harness and connected them to long wires that I routed behind the felt paneling and along the trunk hinge, much like page 7 and 8 of the original PDF.

I also used the new wire I was running to send the ground connection to the new quarter-panel light by hooking up a quick-splice from the long wire I just installed and terminating it with a T-Tap on the black-and-yellow striped wire on the new LED lights.

As for the trunk lights I ran the wire all the way to the passenger side and terminated them in quick splices to the green and black-and-yellow wires. I used red for the brake lights and black for the ground wires, you can see how they're hooked up in this picture.
    Attachment 99202

Once I had the longest distance covered I then hooked up the lights on the driver side. Because the wire was already that I simply used two quick-splices from the new wire I ran and terminated them in T-Taps on the same wires for the lights like so.
    Attachment 99210

With that done I tested everything out, it took a few times of failure because the T-Taps didn't actually scrape off enough of the wire to make good contact, so if you go this route and have problems with only some lights working, try taking off your T-Taps and double checking that they've scraped through enough of the wire casing to actually make the contact they need.

Once everything was working correctly I simply zip-tied the new wires to the pre-existing ones put all the covers back on for the trunk and called it a day.

It took me probably 2-3 hours simply because I ran out of T-Taps halfway through and had to get things in a decent enough state so I could drive to the store and get some more.

Hope this can be helpful to other people looking to do this upgrade on their car because it really does make it look nice when everything is lit up at night.
    hi just bought the led tail light for 2014 kia optima ex i am really confuse on wire and color and i bought the turning signal module too do you have any more info that would help me a lot.
    thanks karma

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast