[DIY] : LED Tails install on 2014 - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Tails install on 2014

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    kia
    Model
    optima
    Trim
    ex
    Quote Originally Posted by scud View Post
    Figured I would do a write-up for those of us who are now owning 2014's and wanting to upgrade to LED tails since the process is slightly different than 2013's.

Things you'll need:
    • 10mm ratcheting wrench
    • 6 Quick Splices
    • 6 T-Taps and 6 Connectors
    I used this .pdf as a basis for my install.

For the majority of the steps you'll follow the same guide. Including removing of the trunk liner and obviously the old lights.

For the quarter-panels you'll just need to connect the black ground wire to the black-with-yellow striped wire on the new LED's. On the passenger side I used a T-Tap and connector on the new LED side, and then ran that into a quick-splice on the black ground wire on the existing wiring.

The driver side is where things will start to change. The following is my connections.
    Attachment 99194

As you can see the new LED's we're hooking up have a total of 5 wires in their plug, whereas our stock connection only has 2. So you need to bring up 2 wires from the driver side along the trunk lid, they're simply a ground wire and the brake light. So I took two T-Taps on those wires from the stock harness and connected them to long wires that I routed behind the felt paneling and along the trunk hinge, much like page 7 and 8 of the original PDF.

I also used the new wire I was running to send the ground connection to the new quarter-panel light by hooking up a quick-splice from the long wire I just installed and terminating it with a T-Tap on the black-and-yellow striped wire on the new LED lights.

As for the trunk lights I ran the wire all the way to the passenger side and terminated them in quick splices to the green and black-and-yellow wires. I used red for the brake lights and black for the ground wires, you can see how they're hooked up in this picture.
    Attachment 99202

Once I had the longest distance covered I then hooked up the lights on the driver side. Because the wire was already that I simply used two quick-splices from the new wire I ran and terminated them in T-Taps on the same wires for the lights like so.
    Attachment 99210

With that done I tested everything out, it took a few times of failure because the T-Taps didn't actually scrape off enough of the wire to make good contact, so if you go this route and have problems with only some lights working, try taking off your T-Taps and double checking that they've scraped through enough of the wire casing to actually make the contact they need.

Once everything was working correctly I simply zip-tied the new wires to the pre-existing ones put all the covers back on for the trunk and called it a day.

It took me probably 2-3 hours simply because I ran out of T-Taps halfway through and had to get things in a decent enough state so I could drive to the store and get some more.

Hope this can be helpful to other people looking to do this upgrade on their car because it really does make it look nice when everything is lit up at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by K5 Optima Store View Post
    Thanks for making this Matt, much appreciated. I think this will help others going through the same installation process.
    hi david i did the installation like this but when i press the brake diver side and passenger trunk tail but light goes off only the passenger bumper light on.But i released the brake all light come on.today i am going to dealer to see if they can fix it. i am thinking is the green wire not giving power i think coz green wire is brake light right?
    let me know if you guys can help me here.
    thank

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Glad to see my old pdf made it to yet another post. It seems the wiring has changed sometime between 2013 or 2014.
    2011 Optima EX Premium

Year
    Make
    kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    lx
    Noob question, do you have to disconnect the battery before you start?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lube Jockey
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by K5NOOB View Post
    Noob question, do you have to disconnect the battery before you start?
    You don't have to, but it's highly recommended to do so. When working on anything electrical on the car.

Year
    Make
    kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    lx
    Thank you For the write up Scud!! Followed it step by step and took about an hour to complete.

8. The Following User Says Kudos to K5NOOB For This Useful Post:

9. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12