Side Mirror glass - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Side Mirror glass

Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2013 Kia Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    Thanks for all the help guys!

So I took a small screwdriver and attempted to separate the two pieces, it didn't want to come loose and I didn't want to force it.

Theoretically, these two parts snap together as one when they're connected to the main part of the mirror unit anyway, so I'm not understanding the need to separate them. I should be able to just snap the thing back on as one whole piece. The problem appears to be with the one clip that has the "S" shaped hook on the end, that's the one that won't secure itself to anything. I suspect maybe this clip may be broken, but I still can't find any documentation anywhere on this.

I'm going to attempt to look for a replacement for that particular clip...it seems dumb to me to replace the whole unit on account of one 5-cent piece of metal...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffmob View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys!

So I took a small screwdriver and attempted to separate the two pieces, it didn't want to come loose and I didn't want to force it.

Theoretically, these two parts snap together as one when they're connected to the main part of the mirror unit anyway, so I'm not understanding the need to separate them. I should be able to just snap the thing back on as one whole piece. The problem appears to be with the one clip that has the "S" shaped hook on the end, that's the one that won't secure itself to anything. I suspect maybe this clip may be broken, but I still can't find any documentation anywhere on this.

I'm going to attempt to look for a replacement for that particular clip...it seems dumb to me to replace the whole unit on account of one 5-cent piece of metal...
    There are some pics here that show how the clips work.
    Side Mirror repeater / blinker switchback (white & amber)

Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2013 Kia Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    Nice pics on that thread, thank you. I still don't see what the clip is supposed to look like intact, though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Trim
    SX 2.0T

Side Mirror glass

Nice pics on that thread, thank you. I still don't see what the clip is supposed to look like intact, though.
    If you look at post # 5 where it shows the part number 87612, can't you just order a new one from the dealer? I'm assuming that's the part that needs to be replace!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2013 Kia Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    [QUOTE=DINO2K;2084321]If you look at post # 5 where it shows the part number 87612, can't you just order a new one from the dealer? I'm assuming that's the part that needs to be replace!!!

But there's nothing wrong with the actual part...when i push the mirror back onto the housing it just doesn't attach from that one "S" tipped clip...other than that, the mirror moves, and the motors all work...

I think it may be just that 5-cent clip that's busted (NO pics anywhere of that) and I think it's lame to spend 60-100 bucks to fix a 5 cent part...but that's the automotive industry for you.

Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2013 Kia Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    So yesterday I managed to fix the side mirror as good as new. I separated the housing part from the glass part as mentioned earlier in this thread, then attached the housing to the mirror assembly. In the center there is a white teflon-like 'ball joint' piece that has a screw with a spring attached to it.

The screw/spring piece didn't seem like it was connecting to anything, so I took the screw and the spring off, leaving just the white teflon part. I found a longer screw in a box of parts that was laying around and used it instead, carefully attaching the housing securely to the mirror assembly. Worked great.

The one clip that I suspect might have been broken was still not holding its end of the housing down. Looking carefully, I noticed two "hook" like pieces of plastic on the side and bottom of the assembly, and came up with an idea. I placed 2 thin rubber bands around the 2 hooks and around the housing itself.

Voila! The housing was still free to move using the controls and everything was secure. I snapped the mirror glass back onto the housing and everything is back to normal. Being in AZ, I'll probably have to go back later and replace those rubber bands with something better later, but...

I still have the satisfaction of extending a figurative middle finger to my highly-unhelpful Kia Stealer who's only suggestion was "buy a whole new mirror".
    Last edited by Griffmob; 03-20-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Year
    Trim
    SX 2.0T
    So yesterday I managed to fix the side mirror as good as new. I separated the housing part from the glass part as mentioned earlier in this thread, then attached the housing to the mirror assembly. In the center there is a white teflon-like 'ball joint' piece that has a screw with a spring attached to it.

The screw/spring piece didn't seem like it was connecting to anything, so I took the screw and the spring off, leaving just the white teflon part. I found a longer screw in a box of parts that was laying around and used it instead, carefully attaching the housing securely to the mirror assembly. Worked great.

The one clip that I suspect might have been broken was still not holding its end of the housing down. Looking carefully, I noticed two "hook" like pieces of plastic on the side and bottom of the assembly, and came up with an idea. I placed 2 thin rubber bands around the 2 hooks and around the housing itself.

Voila! The housing was still free to move using the controls and everything was secure. I snapped the mirror glass back onto the housing and everything is back to normal. Being in AZ, I'll probably have to go back later and replace those rubber bands with something better later, but...

I still have the satisfaction of extending a figurative middle finger to my highly-unhelpful Kia Stealer who's only suggestion was "buy a whole new mirror".
    Lol, yeah those S.A can be a pain in the ass if they don't what the hell they're talking about. Glad you had it fixed man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12