Kia Optima Forums banner

Shark Racing tune and throttle body

[ALL] : 
7K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  b2bomber 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I would not waste your money on the ECU tune they are offering for the 2.4L engine.

There is no way possible for them to be able to safely make an additional 10-15hp out of the 2.4L engine with an ECU tune.

I'm really surprised to see them advertise that on their site like that. Very difficult to see over 15hp on a 4 cylinder NA engine with only tuning.

#3 ·
i would be interested on how they are achieving this as well. is this gain under the curve or is it out of the usable range. i know that in my chevy truck they were able to "gain " power by deleting the torque management system. basically it would pull timing right of idle. It wants a list of mods too so the 15 hp might be if you have intake and full exhaust.

#5 ·
ok so i emailed them to see how they achieved these numbers and if there was a dyno sheet. here was the response i got "the trans program is not touched, as that is governed by the TCU, which is a separate module. we adjust the usual suspects as far as tuning go's, air/fuel ratio, spark timing , raise the speed limiter if there is one, ect. we currently do not have dyno sheets available. "

#13 ·
I'd have to agree with b2bomber on this one, and I'm coming from the Honda side of tuning in the past as well as present. I'm able to get 20+hp (per dyno numbers) on my H22 (Prelude) with bolt ons and some a/f remapping. Using Hondata or some kind of piggyback system could even give more gains.

Compared to Hondas, it seems like alot more uncharted territory on tuning for Kias, as they are more recent when it comes to tuning and getting the most out of a motor. Without dyno sheets (seriously?!) or any objective data to support it, I'd wave the BS flag on Shark's claims.

#15 ·
These guys are talking engines with vtec that can be tuned to come on a lot earlier and stay on longer. Also these engines where not tuned from the factory to the extent that current engines are. You could have vtec kick in harder just by going to the shorter oil filter which increased oil pressure. These are two different beasts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.