Nervous at Quitting my Job
NEWS

1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nervous at Quitting my Job

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo

Nervous at Quitting my Job

This Monday, I'm going to walk in to work, a job I've had for 7 years, and hand in my 2 week notice.
    I interviewed for a job in October, one I had sent a resume to, during the summer, while I was on a temp layoff. On Friday I received a call, that they were still interested in me, and today, (Sat) we came to an agreement, and I've been hired.

It's a bit more money, closer to where I live, a brand new building, nice and clean. I thought I'd be happy.

I'm not, I'm nervous as heck, wound up, strung out. I'm giving up everything I've accumulated, no severance package, should the new job not work out, won't have enough hours to be able to quality for unemployment. (Need about 680hrs, where I live) All I get, is 2 weeks worth of pay, plus some vacation time. And whatever the company contributed to a DPSP.

I'm going from Lead Hand, master of my domain.. to a nobody, the new guy that has to make it through 90 Days Probation. I'm in my 40's...scary as hell, out there.

I don't think I can sleep.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Trim
    SX 2.0T
    You gotta take chances in life and I'm sure everyone would feel the same way if they were in your shoes, I'm sure the company that hired you realized that you are walking away from a very good position to be with them. Just have to be positive about it and slowly adapt to your new job and I'm sure you'll be fine. All the best and GL on your new job, heck come back after a few months with the new SXL then we'll know you're in good hands lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Model
    Optima-Black
    Trim
    SX-T Prem/Tech
    It's good that you feel these emotions because it shows that you're a moral individual who cares. Seven years is a substantial amount of time to have established a bond with fellow workers so it's understandable to be feeling uneasy.

On the other hand, you seem to be making the right move at the right time because a temp layoff of a 7 year employee is not a good sign. You're company appears to be having financial troubles or poor management that they need to do some thing like this to you. They may view it as a favor to them for not having to let go of you permanently if they are needing to downsize and/or maybe replace you with a cheaper hire. They're probably not be stable to bank your future on so you're not taking any of a different chance with the new company.

Part amicably with the old - don't look back - start building your new future - and don't think foolishly about the future what if's, because it's meaningless at this moment in time. You can't live out your life based on the crystal ball you don't have.

Everything will turn out fine as long as you think positive.

Good luck and enjoy each day!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran BlueSXTurbo's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    Take a risk bro. It might take you in different direction in life and you might love it. Don't stress out, just do it. Trust your gut. Good luck.
    BlueSXTurbo's Showroom
    2011 Kia Optima SX T-GDI

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    Take a chance, lifes a risk but im sure your making the right move. Always leave in good terms dont burn any bridges, in case you dont like it at the new job they might hire u back at the old one. Good luck tho wish u the best.

A good company will wish you well on your new adventure and should throw you a going away lunch. If so, enjoy it, be thankful and humble to your coworkers. You may be the low man on the totem pole on your new job, so there is only one way to go, right?
    2012 Optima SX w/ premium touring & tech packages, Corsa Blue, born in the USA Jan 24 2012, bought Feb 11 2012 w/7 miles
    Mods; 15% tint all around, clear bra, dechromed/body color grill, blue brake calipers, plastidip'd emblems, dark tint window vent visors, painted the badge T grass green (T-GDI), Fumoto oil drain valve, yellow tint fogs, mud guards, General Altimax RT43 225/50/18 tires and full size spare
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...20Optima%20SX/

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Thanks for all the support.
    Management where I work are assholes, they run the shop with fear. I won't really miss it. We all busted our asses to get work out the door to make all the end of year deadlines. (I was pulling 50 hr weeks since November.)
    Even the plant GM was on the floor, driving the lift truck and helping package parts. On Friday, the President came down, and fired him.
    I'm thinking that new job offer was telling me to GTFO..

The only person I feel bad for is my immediate boss, I'm one of two experienced people left in our dept, after cutbacks last year.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread